Ostomy Nurse Review
As a Certified WOCN, here is my ostomy nurse recommendation.
I have been searching for a product like the Stomaplex for my ostomy patients, who are in need of additional protection and support. I was very pleased to discover Stomaplex, while trying to assist one of my patients to help protect his ostomy. He had a very physically active, outdoor job, and needed to protect his stoma from accidental bumps and scratches.
The Stomaplex is a product I, and many ostomy patients, have been waiting for - finally someone designed a stoma protector that I can recommend to my patients in need.
There are many reasons why patients should consider using the Stomaplex, the most important being the safety and security they provide.
I am so excited to share the news about these protectors with my patients. I am recommending them to my patients who need, or want, some added security and support. It is so useful for people who work in various types of jobs like construction, in a factory, or as a counter worker, as well as for various activities such as sports, gardening, or cooking, and those with children or pets. Of course, the number one reason for using Stomaplex is the ability to safely wear a seatbelt. That is the ultimate in security and support.
- Stomaplex also offers a new level of protection, and help to diminish the embarrassment one may feel while wearing an ostomy appliance.
- The padded design helps to protect ostomy appliances from lifting and falling off. They are soft and comfortable next to the skin.
- This smooth outer surface will help to hide the bump of the stoma and pouch. An added plus, these stoma protectors will help to muffle, or silence, the passage of flatus (gas).
- The Stomaplex is an embarrassment reducer, without reducing the function of the stoma or the flow of the stool.
- There is adequate space in the cutout design, which is customized for the size of the stoma.
- The flat, wide belts will prevent shifting and rolling, a problem I have seen with other products.
There are other potential uses for the Stomaplex. I believe they would work great for patients whose stoma is placed on their belt line. Stomas in these locations are difficult to pouch and protect. Another potential use is for parastomal hernia prevention, by helping to support the muscles and stoma together, preventing stretching and distending. It may even help hold prolapsed stomas in place.
I was excited to learn that Stomaplex is a new company with innovative products. In addition to the guards, the Stomaplex Equalizer is another one of their designs. The Equalizer helps to secure the application of the flange/barrier to the skin. Utilize it to apply equal pressure around the stoma-skin junction, seating the flange/barrier. This will help to prevent leakage at that critical intersection. The Equalizer is available in a variety of sizes and they are soft and flexible, allowing for contouring around even oval or irregular stomas, and they are completely washable and reusable.
I have been sharing the news about the protector and the Equalizer with my patients, fellow CWOCNs, and nursing staff. Thank you to Stomaplex for developing and sharing their ostomy products with us, and for helping to give patients safety, security, and confidence. Stomaplex will help keep the stoma safe and the Equalizer will help to give a more secure appliance seal. Just because a person has an ostomy, they should not live in fear of an accident waiting to happen. They now can have the confidence to return to an active life and living. My advice for ostomy patients: go on, go out and enjoy life, it has been given back to you.
- Pearl R. Harmany, BSN, RN, CWOCN, Ostomy Nurse.